Wednesday 12 March 2014

So why a blog and why now?

Hello and welcome to my blog. So why a blog and why now? Good question, not sure I fully know the answer myself but as this journey progresses hopefully it will become clear!
First, I guess a little about me might be helpful. I am 45 years old and a mum and grandma. I have been a follower of Jesus for 18 years and was unexpectedly widowed after being with my husband for 16 years in 2013. In August of this year I fly out to Redding, California to attend Bethel School of Ministry and I think this blog will be a record of the amazing adventure that God has called me to go on with him, wherever that takes me. For the moment though it seems right to tell you a little about how I got where I am, so here goes.
I met Jesus when I was 28 and leading up to this I was a mess. I came from a dysfunctional, broken home where abuse and drugs were normal and by the time I met Jesus at 28 I had spent 15 years doing drugs and all the related lifestyle
issues that tend to go with it trying to hide how much I hurt inside. I was also a single mum to an amazing 10 year old son.
Then Jesus stepped in, I did not expect it, definitely was not looking for it (in my opinion) but in he stepped anyway! It was amazing, in one encounter he showed me that I was loved, accepted and forgiven and that he wanted to know me. Wow! I had a lot of issues due to the lifestyle I had led and for the first couple of years I was up and down like a yo-yo. It was during this time I met and married my husband. When I was 30 I finally gave up my efforts and said to God that I would go his way and I have never looked back. Over the past 15 years he has brought healing and wholeness to me in ways I could never have imagined and most people who hear my testimony now struggle to relate it to the person they see before them. That is the amazing grace and restoration of my awesome Almighty God. My Papa, my Jesus and my Holy Spirit, without whom I fear to think where I would be today or if I would even be here at all.
As I said at the beginning, I am recently widowed and my husband was not follower of Jesus, though he always encouraged me in my faith and was a wonderful man. The last couple of years before my husband died I had 3 prayers that were on my heart. The first was to see my husband follow Jesus, God had said to me this would happen and when I told my husband I believed this he promised me to do it on his death bed. The second was to see reconciliation between my son and I, we had not spoken in a couple of years and I knew I had a grandson but had not met him. My last prayer was that I wanted my declaration of all I am for Jesus to be wholly and completely true with nothing held back. Keep these things in mind as I take you back to December 2012, as I want to share how amazing my God is and how he sees to all the details so that we can count our blessings even in the toughest seasons of our lives.
In December 2012 my husband and I decided we wanted to move to the countryside, both to be near one of his sisters and because we loved the country life. A job came up with the charity I worked with at a different project (I worked with highrisk ex offenders) and if I got it moving would be made much easier. I applied and prayed that God would open the door if it was the right next step, I got the job in January 2013 but it was 4 months before I was able to transfer, so at the end of May I started my new job. How excited was I, a new challenge, a shorter commute and the opportunity to move! 10 days after I started at the new project though, senior managers came to tell us they were closing the project in September. Shock! How could this be? I had asked God to shut the door if it was not right and he had not done so. Why would he give me a job and take it away again so quickly? I came to the conclusion that I was there to support the staff (I am a great change manager) and pray for God's intervention, his miracle to save the project. Sadly, or so I thought at the time, I was made redundant on 1st September 2013. My husband and I had more time together than we had enjoyed for many years (he was not working at this time as he was doing up the house) and he was in a great place. He had found this lovely little cottage for us to buy and was really motivated and excited to do up the house so we could sell it and move.It was not to be, on October 10th 2013 he died suddenly of a heart attack. God's blessings even in this hard time were amazing though. We had spent the last 6 weeks of his life together with no work getting in the way (so my redundancy was not sad but amazing provision of time), my husband had no idea he was dying (he just said he wanted an ibuprofen because he had pulled his chest, gave me a hug and died) and I was with him.
Since his death God has shown me clearly that my husband stuck to his promise and is now with Jesus and is among the crowd cheering me on. My son and I are reconciled and I am getting to know my amazing grandson and his mum. Lastly, all I have and all I am is truly all for Jesus, nothing held back. It is not the way I would have wanted my prayers answered but I can say in all truth that every day since my husband died I have known that God's grace is sufficient for me and that his joy is my strength. I still have steps to take to walk out free and whole from my grief but I know that Papa will continue the work he has begun and for that I am forever grateful.
I guess the last thing you need to know is my journey that led to me being enrolled in Bethel School of Ministry (BSSM for short) but that's a story for next time.
Thanks for reading, I pray you were encouraged and blessed.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Michelle. I know it will help and encourage lots of people. I look forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna, have been really blessed and encouraged by all the response I have had. Will keep posting!

      Delete
    2. Our God is an awesome God and works in the most mysterious way all the best for the future and looking forward to reading your blogs kenny

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kenny, he truly is an awesome God.

      Delete
  2. Michelle, your quiet gentle support while I was losing my mum were such a help. I can remember I tried to stay jokey through it all but in quiet moments it was your 'look', you knew. And I thank you. And I still miss Wing!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi. Maybe we could do a Wing reunion in June or July before I leave. Would be lovely to see you all again xx

      Delete
  3. You have an amazing testimony of how God is at work all the time behind the scenes even if we don't always know it or recognise it. This will be an exciting season of preparation for an exciting new chapter for you. I am privileged to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sara, remember an exciting season when you were preparing to leave these shores too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle, what a testimony! I can only imagine that you've had a really sad time this last year or so, but it sounds like things worked out well in the midst of it as well. What an exciting prospect in terms of going to BSOM this year - I'm looking forward to reading the story of your enrollment and what happens next. Hi to Sandi as well! Best wishes, Neil ps I'm outside my technological comfort zone here, so not sure that this will be sent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil, it was posted, well done! Thanks for your comments, really appreciate them

      Delete