Wednesday 17 December 2014

San Francisco!

I so love the guys I get to do city service with in San Francisco. They are a mixture of first, second and third years with a couple of volunteers too. They are awesome and it is such a privilege to love on the people of this city with them. Every one of them is unique and they all have things that I can learn from and I am eager to learn as much as I can. This last weekend we were in San Francisco for the second time as a group and it was wonderful.

We went at first to Union Square and with my friend Rebeccah (a third year) we talked to a street magician and bought chocolate for his girlfriend, we chatted and encouraged a man who has been carrying a banner saying Jesus loves you around Union Square 6 days a week for 10 years. I wonder what would happen if every Christian was as committed as he was to the destiny they believe God has called them too? We also got to bless, encourage and prophesy over several homeless people. It was wonderful, I love calling out the gold in people and seeing the impact that has on them as they see something greater in themselves than they thought possible. We also blessed them practically too as Jesus fed the hungry and didn't just preach at them!

In the evening we went to Castro to love on the guys there. It is the homosexual district of San Francisco and is very vibrant on a Friday night. Three of us went to speak to a homeless guy as Cindy (a third year) felt God said we should talk with him. He was hungry so we bought him a burrito and listened as he shared with us. His first reaction was that we were the answer to his prayer as he had been speaking with his higher power about bringing someone to help him. He told us about his recent relationship breakdown, his suicidal tendencies and his feelings of complete inadequacy as he couldn't even kill himself. Cindy led him in a prayer of salvation and he truly met Jesus that night as he was healed of back and shoulder pain. As we went to leave he asked could we keep in touch and we have been encouraging him since. Please pray that he gets to his mother's house in Southern California this week as that would be a great move for him and bring some stability. The rest of the team were giving free hugs and spiritual readings and we had some amazing conversations through this, people are so open when you approach them in love as people and not as a project!

On the Saturday we went to Pier 39 and got to see a homeless man healed of shoulder pain and to bless a couple who had been on the street for 30 years. I also got to eat clam chowder, see the seals and eat ice-cream outside in December, all new experiences for me and thoroughly enjoyed.

It was a great trip and I am blown away by the faithfulness of God when we are willing to step out in love and join in with what he is doing. I am starting to head out one night a week in Redding too and beginning to build relationship with some of the guys and girls here. I love it, they are so open to being encouraged, prayed for and hearing about God. I stepped out recently while shopping with a word of knowledge about knee pain for the cashier and though it was not right, she did ask me to pray for her back! Learning just to be bold and go for it, I don't want to not step out and deny someone a touch from God. So looking forward to bringing this back with me to the UK over Christmas.

I hope you have been encouraged as you have read this. There will be another post very soon about the stuff God has been speaking to me about the price I am willing to pay to follow him. I pray you are blessed in this Christmas season. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment