Thursday 18 January 2018

My next steps of obedience.....

After my last blog on seeing the end of slavery just before Christmas, God has been opening my eyes to the small steps he is asking me to take next.  I started by reading Modern Slavery, A Global Perspective by Siddharth Kara, which is a great book on this subject, though as you would expect, it is tough reading in places. 

One of the biggest things that I took from the book is that it is very, very difficult to live your life and be certain that you are not supporting the slave trade in some way.  Slave labour is so pervasive and is not isolated to poor countries.  Siddharth documented slaves working in the almond industry and California as well as in the seafood industry in Thailand.  It is everywhere and often, right under our noses. 

How do you know that the Asian ladies in the nail bar doing your nails who speak very little English are there because they want to be and are being paid a fair wage?

What about those who work in the car washes?

What about………….???  I’m guessing that most of us could put something in here.  The problem is that when we think about slavery and begin to realise how large an issue it is we can feel powerless, like there is nothing we can do.  This though, is simply not true.  If we all did what we can, whatever God is calling us to do, we can trust him to give us the strategy to see slavery ended for good.

So this is what I plan to do, to take the steps I feel God is leading me to and to trust him with the bigger picture.  I believe he is leading many people to take the steps he is showing and together the interwoven threads will begin to build something that we could not imagine individually.   So, here are my steps!

-       To pray and declare the end of slavery in my lifetime and to partner with Holy Spirit as he leads
-       To continue supporting Hope for Justice (every life freed is a miracle) and to attend their conference in March

-       To join a local group who want to pursue abolition in Leicester, the UK and further afield and if one is not running, with Hope for Justice’s help to start one!

-       To do a post graduate certificate in Human Rights and Development

-       To build relationship and connection with those who share similar passions, whether in the church or out, it will take a network of people affecting all areas of life to see this evil end (more on this in a later post I think!)

-       To keep the conversation going wherever and whenever I can

This is what I know God is calling me to do at this moment, this will probably change as time goes by but right now, I just want to be obedient to him in this season.  If I’m honest, I look at the big picture and how far reaching any solution needs to be and my little contribution feels like a drop in the ocean but I know my God is faithful and he is more interested in my availability, my yes, than my ability.  So, I don’t know where this journey will take me or what it will look like 6 months from now but I am committing to taking one step at a time with God and trusting him for the outcome.  One thing I do know, we will see the end of slavery in my life time and I am only a very small piece in a much bigger puzzle.  We just need all the pieces of the puzzle to do their bit!

Can I encourage you, if you have a passion, whatever it is, then please ask God what steps you need to take, whether that be praying or stepping out in obedience and doing something, and then do it and trust that he will open doors that you could not open yourself, that he will build connections that you could not build, that he will use your obedience to bring change to whatever areas you are passionate about.  He is calling his children to step up and step out in partnership with him, this was his plan all along.  How amazing that there is no plan B, we are it and he is no doubt that his plans will be fulfilled.  Wow!

I am excited because I believe 2018 is a year where we will see individuals step up and step out and trust that God will use their obedience to do more than they could ask or imagine.  I believe that this year we are going to see heavenly strategies and blueprints released and acted upon that means by the end of the year things will look so different.  This is the year where the church steps up and out as God’s solution to the many issues and problems the world faces.  I am blessed to live in such a time as this and just want to play the part God has for me, how about you?


Happy heart!  Blessed indeed!

3 comments:

  1. Determined hearts are powerful drops when poured into the right bucket. Waiting for my own "marching orders."
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your marching orders will come and I know your yes will follow.
      Love you too my friend x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete